2013年9月18日星期三

Warm Experience Taking Buses  

 
   Buses in Finland are totally different from buses in China, no crowds, no tumult. Everytime I get on the bus, what welcomes me first is the driver’s warm smile. I don’t know what else other than a warmer smile can be the best response. “kiitos” is the most useful word when taking buses. The driver will say “kiitos” when you get on the bus, and in return, passengers will say “kiitos” when they get off the bus. A simple, short word shows a nation’s habit to be polite. Another detail worth to mention about buses in Finland is that the bus driver will tilt the bus when elders or women with baby carriages get on the bus. This unnoticeable act can be the symbol of humanitarianism. I also had a great experience one time I was waiting for buses.That was a beautiful afternoon, the bus station, as usual, only had one person standing there before I went to it. The only person there was an ordinary Finnish woman who was smoking before I came to the station. A few seconds after I paused at the station, the woman came to me and politely asked me “ would you mind I smoking here?”. I was shocked and shook my head quickly. She gave me a thankful smile as response. I was shocked because I was never been asked this kind of question before. The respect between strangers can be easily epitomized by a simple question which is also the best make-up for a lovely lady.

1 条评论:

  1. I share this feeling, too. German bus driver's are mostly malicious. I remember many times, that I've been running after the bus, because the driver just wouldn't stop. Once a driver even laughed at me, while closing the door right before my nose and taking of. Also I remember walking long ways home, because, though already on the bus, the driver wouldn't stop to let me out, EVEN THOUGH I pressed the stop-button.
    In Finland, it's different. In the city where I live, not only will the driver tilt the bus for me and my baby carriage, I also don't need to pay for the ride, as long as the baby is under 3 years of age. In Germany, I have to pay extra for the baby carriage, because it's taking up so much space... NO WORDS!
    Thanks for the blog, it was fun to read :)

    回复删除